Friday, December 13, 2013

Bowie on White Canvas


If I haven't said so before I get a real stiffy for repetition. I have always been obsessed with rhythm, sequence and process, so I am really hot on this.

Here is Bowie in '73, performing Life on Mars. When he cut the track and it appeared on Hunky Dory, Bowie wasn't Glam. Instead he was into this ultra-hippy / sexually ambiguous thing. The success of  his turn to Glam and Ziggy Stardust, allowed Bowie to revisit and re-release the song.


Bowie wouldn't do another music video for the next five years. When he did it was for the second single off Low, called Be My Wife. The songs could not be more different but the similarity of the videos is obvious.

What enthralls me most is what is irreapeatable between the two. The look on Bowie's face, hardened by four brutal years of touring and hard living, compared to the light and relaxed airs of a young dandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment