Monday, December 2, 2013

Sex in the Eternal City: Love Italian Style

As with all romances you delude yourself that you are acting selfishly, trying to hide from the fact you are acting desperately. I made this film in 2009 with the hope of making a big sale and thus justify my continued presence in Italy.  I was granted the honor of having it viewed at the Rome Independent Film Festival in 2010, so I was able to wring a drop of self  satisfaction from it.

Looking at it now, it has held up very well, and I quite like it. Hope's writing still hits all the right notes, the camera work of Enrico Pergolini, Francesco Manetti, Michael Hunt and Francesco Tosto is better than I deserved, considering they were mostly paid in wine.

Most important, the people that I interviewed still seem quick, smart, sincere but not painfully serious. The kind of people who you would enjoy spending an hour with. Exactly how I remember them.

The film goes over a variety of topics, Family, Infidelity, Prostitution, the Catholic Church and Homosexuality. I would love to make the film again but I doubt it would have the same handmade feeling that I like about it today.

I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment